Welcome to my website. I am a Professor Emeritus of Psychology. I served as the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration in the Office of the Provost through June 2021.
Assistant/Associate Vice President for Academic Administration-June 2011 to June 2021
Provided leadership on all faculty/academic personnel matters, strategic planning, faculty and administrator professional development, and policy review; unit supervision and facilities coordination.
- Developed hiring and retention programs to support growth of interdisciplinary programs and diversification of the curriculum
- Directed university-wide leadership development programs for faculty and staff
- Co-chaired university-wide strategic planning task force and implementation team
- Initiated development of online resources to support faculty productivity
- Led major revisions of faculty policies on disciplinary proceedings and on evaluation, reappointment, tenure, and promotion
- Founding Advisor, ACE Engage, 2019-2021
Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences-July 2002 to June 2011
Led management of $36.5M budget; supervised faculty program directors, IT units, and professional staff; coordinated faculty affairs, professional development, research support, facilities, and international partnerships; supported outreach and development.
- Initiated and led College faculty development and retention programs (3-year retention rate = 94%)
- Chaired College Diversity and Retention Implementation Team. Implementation highlights include: partner hiring guidelines; increased transparency for obtaining grant-matching funds; establishment of publication subvention funds; establishment of College Ombudsperson
- Chaired College Strategic Planning Task Force
- Led reorganization and strategic planning for College-wide IT unit
- Member, Board of Directors, Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences, November 2008 to May, 2011. Elected position (re-elected to three-year term November 2010)
My Research Interests Include:
- Personality and mood regulation (Visit Jack Mearns’s website on our research on Generalized Expectancies for Negative Mood Regulation)
- Stress and Coping
- Development and application of Cognitive-Social Learning Theories of Personality
- Psychopathology (especially depression and anxiety)
My Teaching Experience Includes:
- Research Methods
- Higher education leadership and administration