Summer Speech and Debate Institutes
- The 2023 dates have been announced! Debate, Public Address, Oral Interpretation and Limited Prep will be offered July 23-28, 2023.
- Online payments are now available – to make a one-time payment or set up an installment plan, visit our U-store (please note, the system will not provide a total. If you need a confirmation of your balance please contact us).
- Follow us on Facebook: facebook.com/ISUSummerSpeechInstitute and on Instagram: @isu_ssdi
- In an effort to help more students attend camp, we will be offering a discount to schools who send us 5 or more Residential students. Email Megan at email@example.com if you are interested! (some restrictions apply)
Apply to the Institute
The 2023 Summer Speech and Debate Institute runs from July 23-28. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (309) 438-8447 for speech and (309) 438-7820 for debate.
- Click here for the 2023 application.
- Problems printing the permission form? Click here for a printable copy
- Deposit checks and payments should be sent to the ISU Summer Speech Institute Campus Box 4480 Normal IL 61790-4480. Deposits should be received by the camp no later than June 24to secure your place in camp. After June 30, please contact us at email@example.com to confirm any openings.
- Online payment portal – to make a one-time payment or set up an installment plan, visit our U-store at (please note, the system will not provide a total. If you need a confirmation of your balance please contact us).
- Click here for the Payment Policy. Please read before registering.
- Click here for the 2023 Medical Forms (to be completed and returned prior to Registration via mail or email)
- HIPAA Privacy Notice
We are proudly the oldest and one of the most successful student organizations on campus. We have placed in the top 10 at the American Forensic Association and National Forensic Association national tournaments for nearly 20 years and have won national titles 6 times in our history.
The highest level of dedication and commitment to excellence can be found in our Institute.
The emphasis of the Institute is on teaching both novice and experienced students the skills and theory necessary to successfully participate in interscholastic speech activities and serve as team leaders. The ISU Summer Speech Institute meets all the recommendations of the National Developmental Conference on Forensics. Every participant will have an opportunity to work with an experienced teacher in small classes to prepare and polish their events. The workshop has consistently maintained an instructor to student ratio of 1:4.
The heart of a dynamic workshop is, of course, the staff. ISU has assembled an outstanding group of successful coaches from both high school and college ranks. We also welcome successful college competitors as faculty, along with ISU graduate student coaches and members of our nationally recognized ISU speech and debate teams.
Materials and Lectures
In addition to event coaching, the Institute offers workshops and activities to educate students on all aspects of speech competition including tournament etiquette, team building, and peer coaching. Students will return to their schools with packets of materials to share what they’ve learned with their teammates.
Schedule of Events 2023
- All events: July 23-28
- Application Deadline: June 30
Public Address & Limited Preparation Events
Extemporaneous Speaking, Radio Speaking, Special Occasion Speaking, Original Oratory, Original Comedy, Oratorical Declamation, Impromptu, and Informative (Expository) Speaking.
Oral Interpretation Events
Prose, Poetry, Dramatic Duet Acting, Humorous Duet Acting, Humorous Interpretation, Dramatic Interpretation, Program Oral Interp, Duo, (and more)!
Lincoln-Douglas, Policy, Public Forum, Congress
Students will reside in double-occupancy rooms in the air-conditioned university residence halls. Sheets, towels, and pillows are provided. Mutual roommate requests are accepted. All meals from breakfast on Monday to lunch on Friday are provided. We regard residence hall living as an important part of the summer experience.
Our professional staff members are responsible for the policies, conditions, security, and student supervision in the residence halls. Participants will also have access to Illinois State’s Milner Library, an excellent resource for researching public address speeches, interpretation events, and preparing extemporaneous speaking files. The structure, opportunities, and adult supervision available at ISU make it a first choice for concerned parents.
2023 Tuition and Fees
$675 for tuition, room and meals
We will offer a $300 discount to schools who send 5 or more residential students. Some restrictions apply – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details (discount is per school NOT per student).
Tuition only – $325 for workshop
Tuition + meal plan – $460 for workshop+meals
The Johnson Scholarships:
Scholarships are available to students who demonstrate financial need. To apply for an institute scholarship, indicate your intent on the application and email / mail / fax:
- A brief (1-2 page) essay explaining your forensics goals and how camp will help you achieve them (some explanation of your financial need would be helpful) and
- a letter of support from current coach or guidance counselor. Letters should either be emailed by the coach/counselor on a school email account, or be printed on school letter head and signed.
Scholarship materials received after June 20 will be considered based on availability of funds. The Johnson Scholarships are named for ISU alum and 30 year Institute veteran Amy Johnson. Amy is renowned for her love of forensics and we are thrilled to award scholarships in her name to students who are committed to furthering the art, scholarship and community of Forensics.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to contribute to the Johnson Scholarship to help more students attend the Institute!