Criteria for Selection
The candidates will be selected based on the following criteria, which have not been ranked in any particular order:
- The applicant’s academic qualifications;
- The applicant’s previous research experience (if any);
- The quality of the applicant’s letters of recommendation;
- The applicant’s ability to work with others;
- The applicant’s self-identification as a member of an underrepresented group; and
- The applicant’s willingness to commit to follow-up research and presentations after the culmination of the project.
Teacher training programs typically enroll a high percentage of women. At the PIs’ home institution, two-thirds of the mathematics education majors are female. It is anticipated that at least half of the participants in the proposed program will be female.