Fall Finale

Junior Connor Rada (Lakemoor) took 3rd place speaker and a partial quarterfinal in Junior Varsity on December 4th at the Fall Finale hosted online by Lafayette College and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 

The virtual nature of the tournament allowed team members to compete from familiar ground in Fell Hall. This was the last competition of the semester for the debate team. 

“I liked the online format as I was able to meet new competitors and respond to different arguments,” said Rada, “The best part of the tournament for me was breaking to quarterfinals. I have been putting in a lot of work this semester and this was a nice way to show it.” 

“The high point of the tournament for me was winning a round,” said Freshman Taylor Perteete (Chicago).

“I feel that we as a team have become more connected… This better understanding of one another has improved our ability to support each other and came about through several shared dinners and other bonding experiences.”

Brayden Bobowski

The virtual format allowed team members to spend time together during the tournament and support one another between and during rounds. Junior Brayden Bobowski (Des Plaines) helped his team during the tournament despite not being entered as a competitor.

“Even though I was not competing, the tournament felt very collaborative overall with the team frequently coming together to help each other prepare for different arguments and do last minute research,” said Bobowski. 

The fall semester allowed opportunities for growth for the team whether they were new or returning members.  

“Seeing that this was my first semester in college debate, I think I have made good progress in learning the event. I didn’t know anything about the Lincoln-Douglas format before starting the semester and I was able to compete and qualify for nationals,” said Rada. 

“I feel I have grown as a debater in the sense I am better able to pre-empt arguments that might be read against me,” said Bobowski, “This skill has allowed me to better support my other three teammates between rounds.” 

The team has been able to work together through individual strengths and weaknesses, supporting each other and spending time together outside of tournaments. 

“I feel that we as a team have become more connected… This better understanding of one another has improved our ability to support each other and came about through several shared dinners and other bonding experiences,” said Bobowski. 

The team is looking forward to the spring semester and the challenges it will bring.

“I enjoyed our travel tournament we went to and I can’t wait to travel again in the spring,” said Rada. 

“In the spring semester, I am looking forward to bonding further with the rest of the debate team as well as further developing my in-round debate skills,” said Bobowski. 

“I plan on winning a tournament and several speaker awards,” said Freshman Sophia Franco (Chicago), “I look forward to competing in more tournaments next semester.”

“I’m looking forward to trying to qualify for Nationals in the spring semester,” said Perteete. 

Returning member Bobowski had a word of advice for anyone interested in taking part in ISU Debate. 

“Honestly, there are so many different kinds of debate to engage in even within the same activity and within the same round. If you are thinking of learning debate but are worried that your interests may be stifled by the activity, think again,” said Bobowski, “We are committed to supporting you in the pursuit of your interests and we welcome new ideas and perspectives.” 

The ISU Forensics Union, the oldest and most successful registered student organization on campus, boasts over 80 individual national champions and 10 team national championships. The team competes at tournaments in Lincoln-Douglas debate, public speaking, and oral interpretation events.

Published in Debate Team Forensics News Forensics SOC homepage

Skip to toolbar