Microbiology at ISU
Welcome to the Dahl laboratory at Illinois State University
We are part of the School of Biological Sciences at Illinois State University and located on the 3rd floor of the Science Laboratory Building. Our mission is to contribute to the field of the bacterial stress response and train rigorous, creative, and collaborative scientists.
The Dahl lab is broadly interested in understanding how bacteria respond to changes in their environment on both organismal and molecular level. We use a combination of genetic, biochemical, and microbiological approaches to study bacterial stress response and defense systems. Our goal is to determine the role of these processes in host defense and to identify potential novel drug targets.
Our projects include:
- How do uropathogenic E. coli respond to and defend reactive oxygen and chlorine species?
- How do Pseudomonas aeruginosa respond to and defend reactive oxygen and chlorine species?
- What is the role of inorganic polyphosphate in Pseudomonas aeruginosa-mediated killing of Staphylococcus aureus?
- Investigating the killing mechanism of novel antimicrobial agents
We are dedicated to diversity and inclusion, and we promote and recognize principles of fairness and equity in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, disability, faith, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, social class, economic class, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, and all other identities represented among our diverse communities. Our team currently consists of researchers from the US, Ghana, Nigeria, India, Bangladesh, Germany, Philippines, and Morocco.
Undergrads & Grad Student Applicants:
If you are interested in joining the lab, please contact Dr. Dahl (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) with your current CV and a cover letter in which you explain your motivation to work in the Dahl lab and your research experience.
Find here the information about our graduate programs: MS / PhD
Read here more about our mentor-mentee expectations to get a sense of our mentoring philosophy!
- BSC 204 – Biological Investigations
- BSC 260 – Microbiology
- BSC 290/299 – Research in Biological Sciences
- BSC 420A09 – Graduate Seminar in Microbiology
- BSC 363 – Applied Microbiology
- BSC 464 – Microbial Genetics and Physiology
Dr. Jan-Ulrik Dahl
School of Biological Sciences
Illinois State University
Science Laboratory Building, Room SLB 342/343
Phone: (309) 438-7694
Twitter:@JanUlrikDahl1, ORCID, Google Scholar
Diplom (equiv. to M.Sc.): University of Potsdam (2010) w/ honors
Ph.D.: University of Potsdam (2013) in Molecular Enzymology
Postdoc: University of Michigan (2014 – 2018), Advisor: Prof. Dr. U. Jakob