Skip to content →

Internship Information

If you are an ISU student looking for an actuarial internship, please review the information about looking for a job. After you secure an internship position, you can follow the instructions below in order to receive college credit for your internship experience.

  • Undergraduate students need to register for: Mathematics 298: Professional Practice: Internship in Mathematics (typically 2-4 credit hours, and typically half-time work for three months can be approved for 4 credit hours),
  • Graduate students should register for: Mathematics 498 Professional Practice in Mathematics (typically 2-4 credit hours, and typically half-time work for three months can be approved for 4 credit hours).
  • International students with a student F-1 visa who want to work as interns in the United States can only do this by meeting the conditions for approval of F-1 Curricular Practical Training, and must consult this with the Office of International Studies and Programs.

However, you will not be allowed to register in it until your internship class is approved by your Professional Practice Faculty Coordinator. Your Faculty Coordinator for Professional Practice in the Actuarial Program is Dr. Krzysztof Ostaszewski. In order for your internship class to be approved, you must follow the following procedure:

You can purchase liability insurance (some employers require this) — contact Career Center about details of this.
To receive a grade for your internship class, you will have to submit a written report about your internship experience, before the date when grades are due, to your Professional Practice Faculty Coordinator. If you do not submit such a report, you may receive an F for the class, even if your employer was happy with you.

Some Additional Information About Internships

  • Career Center office is located in the Student Services Building, room 185, tel. (309) 438-2200.
  • Internet-based job board is located at Career Center’s Hire a Redbird site.
  • Interns are generally eligible for Workers’ Compensation coverage.
  • Interns are generally not eligible for unemployment compensation coverage.
  • Equal employment opportunity laws generally apply to interns.
  • As an intern, you are covered by your company’s guidelines regarding appropriate workplace behavior, its harassment policy and complaint procedures.
  • You can intern abroad, for example in Bermuda. You can contact the Study Abroad Adviser at the e-mail address:
Skip to toolbar