Psychological Emergency Services
The SCS has a same-day crisis walk-in service that is designed to assist students who are confronting life-threatening circumstances, current or recent traumatic crises, and serious mental illness.
Some examples include:
- suicidal or homicidal thoughts or actions
- recent sexual assault
- the death of a significant person in the student’s life
Much like a visit to the emergency room of a hospital, crisis contacts occur the day that a student makes initial contact with us, and the contact takes priority over the student’s previously scheduled activities (e.g., class, work, meetings). A counselor would meet with you to do an assessment of the circumstances surrounding your crisis, identify and implement strategies for dealing with the crisis, and make recommendations as to how to proceed. A follow-up appointment may be scheduled. At times you may have a brief wait if the counselor is meeting with another student.
If you have an emergency after our normal weekday business hours or on the weekend, please call the Student Counseling Services main number at (309) 438-3655. You will be given the option to press “2” to speak to a counselor immediately, or dial 1-855-256-2188. The counselor will provide information, support, referrals, and, if needed, will arrange for emergency services.
If you require emergency medical intervention, please contact 911, and arrange transportation to the nearest hospital emergency room.
To obtain up-to-date information about Emergency Services after hours and on weekends, call Student Counseling Services at (309) 438-3655. You will be able to talk to a counselor who will provide up-to-date information on accessing crisis services for psychological emergencies.
Other ISU Resources
State and National Helpline Information
- Illinois Crisis Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK
- National Hopeline Network
- Text Telephone: 1-800-799-4TTY
- Resource Guide for Sexual Assault, Relationship Violence, and Stalking
- Military Veterans Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (Press 1)
- Suicide Hotline in Spanish: 1-888-628-9454
- LGBT Youth Suicide Hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR
- The Steve Fund has a crisis text line for students of color. Text STEVE to 741741 to connect with a culturally trained Crisis Text Line counselor