2023-2025 USDA-NLGCA project “Research and education capacity building for energy and nutrients recovery from vegetable farm wastes” (USDA Project: 2023-70001-40991), managed by Drs. Liangcheng Yang and David Kopsel at Illinois State University.
2023-2025 Iowa Soybean Association project “Cover Crop Nutrients Transport in Anaerobic Digestion”, managed by Drs. Liangcheng Yang and Rob Rhykerd at Illinois State University.
2023-2026 Environmental Protection Agency project “Bloomington-Normal Community Air Quality Research”, managed by Mr. Michael Brown at Ecology Action Center and Drs. Liangcheng Yang and Alicia Wodica at Illinois State University.
2022-2023 Shimadzu project “Shimadzu Equipment Grants for Education & Research”, managed by Dr. Liangcheng Yang at Illinois State University.
Previous projects (selected)
2020-2023 “Research and education capacity building for anaerobic digestion of agricultural wastes”. USDA-NLGCA.
2020-2021 “Test the filtration efficiency of N95 masks recovered using an electrostatic charging device”. F.N. Smith.
2020-2021. “Developing a multi-dimensional assessment framework to support the sustainability of utility scale renewable energy systems”. Scott M. Elliott Cross-Disciplinary Pilot Program.
2018-2019 “Modeling phosphors pricing and its effects on the economic feasibility of nutrients recovery from waste waters”. Scott M. Elliott Cross-Disciplinary Pilot Program.
2016-2017. “Development of a novel anaerobic digestion system with stable biogas production and no liquid waste generation”. Illinois State University Cross-disciplinary Grant Development Grant.
Publications (Google Scholar)
40. Yang, L., L. D. Lamont, S. Liu, C. Guo, and S. Stoner. 2023. A Review on Potential Biofuel Yields from Cover Crops. Fermentation. 9, 912. https://doi.org/10.3390/fermentation9100912.
39. Yang, L., L. D. Lamont, J. C. Sedbrook, N. J. Heller, and D. E. Kopsell. 2022. Anaerobic digestion of cereal rye cover crop. Fermentation. 8, 617. https://doi.org/10.3390/fermentation8110617.
38. Yang, L., T. Moran, and L. Han. 2021. Comparison of Operating Methods in Cartridge Anaerobic Digestion of Corn Stover. BioEnergy Research https://doi.org/10.1007/s12155-021-10252-w.
37. Z. Zheng, K. Fiddes, and L. Yang. 2021. A narrative review on environmental impacts of cannabis cultivation. Journal of Cannabis Research 3(1), 1-10. doi.org/10.1186/s42238-021-00090-0.
36. X. Kong, S. Ying, L. Yang, et al. 2020. Microbial and isotopomer analysis of N2O generation pathways in ammonia removal biofilters. Chemosphere. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.126357.
35. L. Yang and S. Corsolini. 2019. Online removal of volatile siloxanes in solid-state anaerobic digester biogas using a biofilter and an activated carbon filter. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2019.103284.
34. Y. Wang, L. Yang, and Y. Li. 2019. Comparison of singular, binary, and ternary mixing of feedstocks for anaerobic digestion. Environmental Technology. DOI: 10.1080/09593330.2019.1627424
33. L. Yang and S. Corsolini. 2019. A Case Study on Converting Organic Farm Waste Vegetables to Biogas Using a Cartridge Design Anaerobic Digester. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. doi: 10.1007/s12010-019-03034-w.
32. F. Xu, Y. Li, X. Ge, L. Yang, and Y. Li. 2018. Anaerobic digestion of food waste – Challenges and opportunities. Bioresource Technology. 247: 1047-1058.
31. Jin, Q., L. Yang, N. Poe, and H. Huang. 2018. Integrated processing of plant-derived waste to produce value-added products based on the biorefinery concept. Trends in Food Science & Technology 74: 119-131.
30. Xu, F., Y. Li, X. Ge, L. Yang, and Y. Li. 2018. Anaerobic digestion of food waste-Challenges and opportunities. Bioresource Technology. 247: 1047-1058.
29. Zheng, Z., L. Yang, X. Wang, and R. Gates. 2017. Impedance-based moisture content sensor assessment for gas-phase biofilter media. Transactions of the ASABE. 60(6): 2163-2173.
28. Yang, L., D. Kopsell, A. Kottke, and M. Johnson. 2017. Development of a cartridge design anaerobic digestion system for lignocellulosic biomass. Biosystems Engineering. 160: 134-139.
27. Byrns,G., B. Beverly, L. Yang, et al. 2017. The Uses and Limitations of a Hand-held Germicidal Ultraviolet Wand for Surface Disinfection. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. Doi: 10.1080/15459624.2017.1328106.
26. Yang, L., X. Ge, and Y. Li. 2016. Recovery of failed solid-state anaerobic digesters. Bioresource Technology. 214:866-70.
25. Jin, G., T. Biema, and L. Yang. 2016. Cap-and-Trade: Understanding and teaching a market-based approach to natural resource allocation. Natural Sciences Education. doi:10.4195/nse2015.0030.
24. Cui, S., L. Yang, J. Wang, X. Wang. 2016. Fabrication of a sensitive gas sensor based on PPy/TiO2nanocomposites films by layer-by-layer self-assembly and its application in food storage. Sensors and Actuators B. 233: 337–346.
23. Yang, X., J. Lee, Y. Zhang, X. Wang, and L. Yang. 2015. Concentration, Size, and Density of Total Suspended Particulates at the Air Exhaust of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations. Atmospheric Environment. 1-10.
22. Yang, L., F. Xu, X. Ge, and Y. Li. 2015. Challenges and strategies for solid-state anaerobic digestion of lignocellulosic biomass. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 44: 824-834.
21. Sheets, J., L. Yang, X. Ge, Z. Wang, and Y. Li. 2015. Beyond land application: Emerging technologies for the treatment and reuse of anaerobically digested agricultural and food waste. Waste Management. 44: 94–115.
20. Lin, L., L. Yang, and Y. Li. 2015. Effect of feedstock components on thermophilic solid-state anaerobic digestion of yard trimmings. Energy and Fuels. 29 (6), 3699–3706.
19. Zhu, J., M. Han, G. Zhang, and L. Yang. 2015. Co-digestion of spent mushroom substrate and corn stover for methane production via solid-state anaerobic digestion. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 7 (2), 023135.
18. Jiang D., L. Danhua, S. Wang, L. Tian, and L. Yang. 2015. Additional Yaw Moment Control of a 4WIS and 4WID Agricultural Data Acquisition Vehicle. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems. 12: 78.
17. Yang, L., X. Ge, C. Wang, F. Yu, and Y. Li. 2014. Progress and perspectives in converting biogas to transportation fuels. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 40:1133-1152.
16. Zhu J.+, L. Yang+, and Y. Li. 2014. Comparison of premixing methods for solid-state anaerobic digestion of corn stover. Bioresource Technology. 175: 430-435.
15. Ge, X., L. Yang, J.P. Sheets, Z. Yu, and Y. Li. 2014. Biological conversion of methane to liquid fuels: status and opportunities. Biotechnology Advances. 32: 1460-1475.
14. Yang, L. and Y. Li. 2014. Anaerobic digestion of giant reed for methane production. Bioresource Technology. 171:233-239.
13. Cui, S., J. Wang, L. Yang, J. Wu, and X. Wang. 2015. Qualitative and quantitative analysis on aroma characteristics of ginseng at different ages using E-nose and GC-MS combined with chemometrics. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 102: 64-77.
12. Cui, S., L. Yang, J. Wang, and X. Wang. 2014. Taste characteristics based quantitative and qualitative evaluation of ginseng adulteration. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.6858.
11. Shen, C., L. Yang, X. Wang, Y. Jiang, and Y. Yao. 2014. Predictive performance of a wastewater source heat pump using artificial neural networks. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology. DUI: 10.1177/0143624414547966.
10. Lin, L., L. Yang, F. Xu, F. C. Michel, and Y. Li. 2014. Comparison of solid-state anaerobic digestion and composting of yard trimmings with effluent from liquid anaerobic digestion. Bioresource Technology. 169: 439–446.
9. Yang, L., A.D. Kent, X. Wang, T.L. Funk, R.S. Gates, and Y. Zhang. 2014. Moisture effects on gas-phase biofilter ammonia removal efficiency, nitrous oxide generation and microbial communities. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 271: 292–301.
8. Yang, L. and C. Shen. 2014. Integration of wastewater source heat pump and solid-state anaerobic digestion for residential waste treatment and energy production. Journal of Postdoc Research. 2:1–6.
7. Shen, C, C. Cirone, L. Yang, Y. Jiang, and X. Wang. 2014. Characteristics of fouling development in shell-and-tube heat exchanger: Effects of velocity and installation location. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 77: 439–448.
6. Shen, C., L. Yang, X. Wang, Y. Jiang, and Y. Yao. 2014. An experimental and numerical study of a de-fouling evaporator used in a wastewater source heat pump. Applied Thermal Engineering. 70: 501–509.
5. Yang, L., X. Wang, T.L. Funk. 2014. Strong influence of medium pH condition on gas-phase biofilter ammonia removal, nitrous oxide generation and microbial communities. Bioresource Technology.152: 74–79.
4. Jiang, D., L. Yang, L. Tian, F. Gao, L. Li. 2014. Development of a 3D ego-motion estimation system for an autonomous agricultural vehicle. Biosystem Engineering. 121:150–159.
3. Yang, L., X. Wang, T.L. Funk, S. Shi, R.S. Gates and Y. Zhang. 2013. Moisture monitoring and control in gas-phase biofilters to achieve high ammonia removal efficiency and low nitrous oxide generation. Transactions of the ASABE. 56(5): 1895–1903.
2. Yang, L., X. Wang, T.L. Funk, R.S. Gates and Y. Zhang. 2013. Impedance based moisture sensor design and test for gas-phase biofilter applications. Transactions of the ASABE. 56(4): 1613–1621.
1. Yang, L., X. Wang, T.L. Funk, R.S. Gates and Y. Zhang. 2012. Transport and fate of N-containing compounds in gas-phase biofilter: A swing test to mitigate ammonia. Transactions of the ASABE. 55(5): 1951–1958.